Monday, October 01, 2007

{Harvest, A Beautiful Bounty in Stitches}

I have always loved the look of stitching on cards. I ooh and aah over all the lovely cards that so many stampers successfully and beautifully sew. I haven't done much card stitching because:

  • My sewing machine is inconveniently located and a pain to comfortably use

  • I don't have a variety of colors of threads because I haven't sewn in such a long time

  • After spending time stamping and coloring an image, I'm always afraid to screw-up my project because I'm never sure if my stitching will look nice

But when I created this card, I put aside all my fears, found a thread color that I didn't hate and just got busy.


The card base is More Mustard which I stamped with the same colored ink using my Sanded background stamp. I also stamped a few leafs using a Dollar Stamp that I bought ages ago at Michael's.

My focal image is from the retired set Harvest Hello which was stamped onto Confetti Cream card stock and colored using Copic markers. I used my Nestabilities to cute the image, and then embossed the edges. The same was done with the Old Olive matting. I then bravely made my way to my sewing machine and using a zig-zag stitched them together.

The side panel is a small piece of scrap that I had lying around, which I also stitched to the card. I'm so glad my stitching turned out on this panel because I stitched it directly onto the card, and it is visible when you open the card. I usually don't like having my "guts" showing, and will do almost anything to hide them, but since the stitching turned out so well, I left it visible.

The sentiment is from the Thoroughly Thankful set. I used my Old Olive marker to ink up the first word, then moved the stamp down and inked up the second word so that the sentiment is staggered, rather than all in one line. I didn't have room on my card for a one-line-sentiment and with the help of my trust Stamp-a-ma-jig, was able to pull it off. I used my corner rounder on both the sentiment and the piece of Old Olive below.

Since I adore ribbons on cards, or other fabric embellishments, I used a piece of ric-rac from my stash along the bottom of the card. I ran a pre-measured piece through my Xyron 150. Before taking the top sheet from the xyron-ed ric-rak, I used a small stylist end and outlined the zig-zag. By doing this, I avoid the "adhesive overflow" that sometimes happens when you use items that have been zyron-ed. (is zyron-ed a word?)

Have you done stitching on your cards? Or, do you have the same fears that I have when it comes to real stitching on paper? After making this card, I'm not quite as fearful, but tha's not to say that I'll never screw up another card by trying to sew on it...it only means I didn't mess up THIS time. :)

Stamps: Harvest Hello, Thoroughly Thankful, Sanded background stamps and $1 Michael's stamp; Papers: Old Olive, More Mustard, Patterned Paper from stash, Confetti Cream; Ink: Palette Burnt Umber, Old Olive, More Mustard; Accessories: Singer Sewing Machine, Nestabilities, Corner Rounder, Ric-Rac from stash, Prima, Bling from stash.

2 comments:

Roni said...

I love it! Your stitching makes the card! I feel the same way you do...so I guess you have given me the courage to give it a go! TFS

Julie said...

Hi Lynn, I love your card stitching. It's a great hobby and I like the challenge of coming up with new patterns - take a look at my free butterfly pattern on hettp://www.stitchedcards.blogspot.com - I hope you like it!